lisacindrich

lisacindrich

January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her - Michael Schofield Gripping read and, of course, as a parent of a young girl, I couldn't help but imagine how I would have coped (or not) with this sort of crisis. Schofield lets the reader experience the family's own gradual journey from 'our daughter has an IQ of 148 and so of course she doesn't behave in the usual way expected of a toddler or preschooler' to their growing distress as January attacks her parents, dog, and infant brother and rejects the company of real children in favor of what everyone had believed were just 'imaginary friends.' It's heartbreaking when Schofield contemplates how the disease could cheat his daughter of college, career, marriage, children. He also does a good job detailing how the stress affects his marriage and work.

Even though Schofield's daughter wasn't officially diagnosed as schizophrenic until she was six, doctors suggest that she may have been experiencing hallucinations since infancy. I'd never even considered that childhood-onset mental illness could begin so early. Hard to imagine what that was like for a child just beginning to experience the world, to have reality and hallucination completely intermingled.